Monday 23 February 2015

V - Versatile #28daysofwriting Day 23

Versatile



I've hit a bit of writer's block today. No plan on what to write for the letter 'V'. Thoughts went from Vision, Views, Version, and around to nothingness. Then I remembered one of the Twitter people I'm mentioning below had a Blog past a few years ago that I really loved. Vicki Davis has been an inspiration since I discovered Twitter and Blogs in 2012.  Her post was on "Planning to teach from A to Z". From here I thought I would borrow her letter 'V' - Versatile. A few key quotes from her served as inspiration; "You must be flexible and adaptable." and "As a teacher, I plan, prepare, and prepare but when things go haywire at the last minute, I've learned to adapt and save myself a heart attack."

Versatility is such an important trait to develop as a teacher. Quite often, the best-laid plans go awry, and we need to be able to roll with it. Schools are predictable and chaotic at the same time, we are dealing with children and adults, and the internal and external pressures of school life. This is where versatility comes in, and being able to assume many different roles and responsibilities to deal with what is happening. 

We also need to develop our own skills so that we can be versatile in the areas we can apply them whether it is numeracy, literacy, arts, sport, technology or any part of school life. At the same time, we need to help our students become more versatile in what they can do (or what they believe they are only capable of doing). Being versatile (or adaptable) is a critical skill in the 21st century, and one we must foster in ourselves and our students.

So towards becoming more versatile, be open to changes and take them in your stride.

Bonus: My Twitter Recommendations- Letter V
These educators have been part of my PLN for some time and it is fantastic to be able to connect with them, share ideas, be challenged and learn from one another. 

Vicki Davis
Victoria Olsen
Vicki Morgado
Virginia Pavlovich
Verity Simpson
Vivian Mat


No comments:

Post a Comment