Thursday 26 February 2015

Y - Yet #28daysofwriting

Yet

I never really understood the power behind this word until recently. Delving into areas such 'Growth Mindset', 'Heutagogy' and 'Motivation Theories'; and reading books like 'Drive' by Daniel Pink, 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell and many others, it has made me realise how powerful our mindset can be and how crucial it is to explore this area. 


I'm working on this and I still have a long way to go. It is a continuous journey, and I hope I continue learning and developing every single day. Here are just a few ways I have embraced YET and how I'm changing my Mindset one day at a time.



2009: I'm not sure that I will be a good teacher or even be able to be one, YET I studied, completed my course, started and absolutely love what I do.

2012: I don't understand what Twitter is all about or what the point is, YET now it is part of my daily life and my PLN is one of my greatest inspiration.

2013: I don't understand how to use Evernote YET now I have presented at Conferences and run sessions on how to use it.Always: I struggle with public speaking YET I have now spoken at Conferences, run Workshops, organised TeachMeets, Tech Tools Tuesdays and now I'm a featured speaker at EduTECH this year!

Always: I'm not a great writer YET, but I Blog, I share, I comment and push myself with #28daysofwriting to improve. 


We need to develop this Mindset in our student to not give up, not believe that they cannot change, that they cannot do something. This involves in us having the mindset of growth and risk-taking, and embracing challenges. 

Don't say "I can't", let's all start saying "Yet" (and "Yes") and change mindsets.


This is a video of the brilliant Dr Carol Dweck discussing Mindsets.




Bonus: My Twitter Recommendations- Letter Y
These educators have been part of my PLN for some time and it is fantastic to be able to connect with them, share ideas, be challenged and learn from one another. 



No comments:

Post a Comment